WM Technology, Inc. (“WM Technology” or the “Company”) (Nasdaq: MAPS), a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, today announced its financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2022.
“Our second quarter results demonstrates how our strategy continues to drive growth for WM Technology as we grew our second quarter net revenue by 24% year-over-year to reach $58 million and increased Average Monthly Paying Clients to 5,537, both quarterly records,” said Chris Beals, CEO of WM Technology. “We believe these results again demonstrate how WM Technology is the enduring platform for the cannabis end-markets. And while the current macro environment, including challenges specific to the cannabis end-markets, did impact our results, our pace of innovation and continuing to deliver healthy returns to our clients resulted in us achieving growth that exceeded our end markets by a wide-margin. Clients continue to rely on our marketplace and WM Business solutions to help grow their own businesses. For that reason, we remain focused on executing against our plans to establish the Weedmaps marketplace as the center of commerce for cannabis consumers and WM Business as the software solution of choice for cannabis businesses.”
“We continue to lean into the tremendous opportunity ahead of us and are focused on driving both near and long-term sustainable growth and profitability,” said Arden Lee, CFO of WM Technology. “In this environment, we also understand the need for prudent operational and investment decision making and we have taken steps to ensure these remain the case. We are as confident as ever in our business model and strategy.”
Second Quarter 2022 Financial Highlights
- Revenue increased to $58.3 million, up 24% from the second quarter of 2021.
- Monthly active users(1) increased to 17.4 million at June 30, 2022, up 41% compared to the prior year period
- Average monthly revenue per paying client(2) decreased to $3,509, a 5% decrease compared to the prior year period.
- Average monthly paying clients(3) increased to 5,537, a 31% increase compared to the prior year period.
- Gross Profit was $54.4 million implying a 93% margin rate, which reflects a 250bps margin reduction from the prior year given investments made in new client solutions, our WM AdSuite offering and continued investment in data initiatives.
- Net income was $19.8 million as compared to net income of $16.8 million from the prior year period.
- Adjusted EBITDA(4) was $(0.6) million as compared to $8.5 million from the prior year period.
- Basic and diluted net income per share was $0.14 and $0.13 based on 86.4 million and 87.2 million of Class A Common Stock weighted average shares outstanding, respectively.
- Total shares outstanding across Class A and Class V Common Stock is 145.3 million as of June 30, 2022.
- Cash totaled $47.6 million as of June 30, 2022, with no long-term debt.
Reconciliations of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures have been provided in the tables included in this release.
|(1)||See “Definition of Key Operating and Financial Metrics—Monthly Active Users” below for additional information regarding MAUs.|
|(2)||Average monthly revenue per paying client is defined as the average monthly revenue for any particular period divided by the average monthly paying clients in the same respective period.|
|(3)||Average monthly paying clients are defined as the average of the number of paying clients billed in a month across a particular period (and for which services were provided).|
|(4)||For further information about how we calculate EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA as well as limitations of their use and a reconciliation of EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA to net income (loss), see “Reconciliation of Net Income (Loss) to EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA” below.|
Second Quarter 2022 Operational Highlights
- We grew Average Monthly Paying Clients by over 30% vs. last year, with many of these clients coming from regions where our licensee share is under 50%, demonstrating our ability to execute in newer markets
- Rolled out new client tools including self-serve analytics and improvements to our Deals offering, allowing a more streamlined Deal creation and scheduling process
- Launched two delivery features which create a better user experience:
- Scheduled Delivery Orders which allow users to schedule specific time-slots for receiving delivery orders. With scheduled delivery orders, our users can now order confidently with precise delivery times
- Express Delivery Menus which support “ice cream truck” delivery models launched in California and Michigan. This feature enables clients to showcase limited menus that offer shorter delivery time periods
- We continue to expand our integrations and API platform, WM Connectors as well as our partner program. Through the quarter, we expanded our menu, orders, loyalty and deals integration products to our clients
- Continued to increase consumer awareness and brand recall of the Weedmaps marketplace, both in underpenetrated existing markets as well as new markets
- Expanded cross-product adoption efforts as clients are now using 4 solutions on average of our dozen plus distinct solutions
Second Half and Full Year 2022 Business Outlook
Based on current business trends and conditions, we are planning against an outlook where total revenue is flat-to-down in the mid-single digit percent area on a year-over-year basis for the second half, which implies a low double-digit percent growth rate for the full year 2022. We expect to end the year with positive Adjusted EBITDA for the full year 2022.
The guidance provided above is only an estimate of what we believe is realizable as of the date of this release. This guidance assumes that no business acquisitions, investments, restructurings, or legal settlements are concluded in the quarter. Our results are based on assumptions that we believe to be reasonable as of this date, but may be materially affected by many factors, as discussed below in “Forward-Looking Statements.” Actual results may vary from the guidance and the variations may be material. We undertake no intent or obligation to publicly update or revise any of these projections, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
Co-Founder Douglas Francis Appointed Executive Chair
WM Technology also announced that the Company’s Board of Directors has appointed WM Technology’s co-founder Douglas Francis as Executive Chair. In this newly created role, Mr. Francis will provide additional oversight and directly engage with management in developing the Company’s strategy and driving its execution.
Mr. Francis said, “As one of the leading technology and software providers to the cannabis industry, Weedmaps is ideally positioned to professionalize the cannabis marketplace, creating value for consumers and compelling returns for our shareholders. I have been a part of the Company for over 14 years and am excited to again be directly involved with management as we deliver on our mission to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy.”
About Douglas Francis
In 2008, Mr. Francis co-founded Legacy WMH, the predecessor company to WM Technology. He served as the Company’s President from 2009 to 2016 and as Chief Executive Officer from 2016 until 2019.
Mr. Francis was appointed Chairman in 2019, serving in that role until 2021 when he became a member of the WM Technology Board of Directors. Mr. Francis has served in management positions in each of Legacy WMH’s current subsidiaries.
Mr. Francis holds a B.S. in Business Administration and Management from Chapman University.
Conference Call Details
The Company will host a conference call and webcast today, Tuesday, August 9, 2022, at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time). Participants may register for the call at https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/83rej9hw. A live webcast of the call will also be available on the WM Technology investor relations website at ir.weedmaps.com.
Earnings Presentation Details
A presentation with information on our Second Quarter 2022 earnings results can be found at ir.weedmaps.com at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time).